WARNING: Spoilers for the first season of Lost!
I've decided to watch through the sci-fi/fantasy series Lost from the start, and tweet about it as I go. Before I started, I'd never seen an episode of the show, though I'd heard bits and pieces (simply from spending time online). You can watch this happen LIVE, over at http://twitter.com/PeterTweetTV.
Please do NOT comment with any spoilers! I'm really enjoying finding things out as they happen on the show.
- Who names their dog "Vincent" anyway?
- Someone's tearing the plane apart. My guess: Charlie, searching for drugs.
- Holy crap, I was way off! It looked like polar bears. A tiny gang of polar bears.
- Mr Lock claims it was boars, but what does he know? They were clearly polar bears.
- Jack wants to burn some dead bodies. I'm on board with this. I can only hope that they'll then EXPLODE.
- "It appears you're as anxious to get off this island as I am." Nooo, she wants to stay here forever. What a stupid comment.
- Oh, excellent! The inevitable "we're out of food" episode. I've been looking forward to this.
- Mr Lock is awesome.
- Oh man, BRILLIANT subversion. Anyone who's seen the Colonel Lock phonecall will know what I'm talking about.
- Australian Pregnant Girl's name is Clare, Little Black Kid's name is Walt.
- Bitchy Girl just got challenged to catch a fish. I predict wacky hijinks and eventual success.
- Bitchy Girl's name is Shannon. Looks like she's going to convince Charlie to catch the fish for her. Wacky hijinks!
- Jack is learning that being the hot heroic doctor means people want you to do the awkward emotional things.
- Humans: 0, Boar: 1.
- I assume Lock's boss won't be recurring, else he'd be an easy lock for Least Likeable.
- Two idiots are wrestling with a sharp stick. Surely someone will have been accidentally stabbed by the end of the episode.
- I wonder if everyone will have a beard by the end of the season, or if they'll conveniently find some razors.
- Old Black Woman's husband's been dead 4 days, and already she's hitting on Jack.
- Woah, Mr Lock is a lot more of a loser than I expected. Lost seems to be all about setting up a cool character, then making them suck.
- It can be really tricky to tell the difference between the dramatic music, and the in-show sound-effects.
- Old Black Lady is called "Rose". She is not only not contributing to the food-hunt, but she's taking up Jack's time as well.
- She also seems to be insane. "My husband is not dead." "Uh, yes he is" "Well that's what HE probably thinks about YOUR FACE."
- They've done the ole "See someone then look away and when you look back he's GONE" trick. Doesn't quite sit right.
- My theories on what the big beast is: -The Queen Polar Bear. -King Kong. -The Spirit of the Forest. -A Dinosaur. -A Land-whale.
- Hey, Lock caught a boar! Good on him. I'd forgotten how satisfying it was to see losers win. Well played, Lost.
- Wow. I was going to comment on the fact that Lock always looked at his feet when he woke up, but holy Brilliant Script-writing.
- That's really impressed me. This is why I've avoided the show for so long - I knew it was going to start great, then rapidly deteriorate.
- At the end of the first disc, Most Intriguing Character: Asian Wife. Most Likeable:Mr Lock. Least Likeable: Lock's boss?
- Whoops. Accidentally put in Disc 7. The menu image was the mysterious door. Looks like that's coming up some time this season!
- No characters are particularly intriguing or dislikeable at this point, but Asian Wife has gotten a lot of screen-time without doing much.
- So disc 2 starts with topless Jack saving someone's life. I can see why this show appeals to the female demographic.
- Two people! Saving two people's lives!
- I can't work out if this show is high-budget or low-budget. On one hand, they only seem to have one set...
- ...on the other hand, exploding polar bears.
- The disc started freezing up, but it conveniently only froze up during the "opening credits". (the word "Lost" appearing on-screen.)
- Crap! It's freezing up. Stop it, Lost! I just want to observe your mysteries and sexual tension unfold..
- Okay, that time Jack didn't even look away between first seeing the man and him disappearing. He didn't even blink.
- I hope this hairbrush shortage directly relates to the plane crash.
- Oh Aussie Pregnant Girl Whose Name I've Forgotten, I liked you a lot better before you started talking about astrology.
- Jack is not enjoying being the Queen Bee. Hopefully Lindsey Lohan will arrive on the island, discredit him, and take over. #meangirls
- Jack's Dad wins this episode's Least Likeable Character hands-down. One week, it may even be a recurring character.
- I assume Jack's mystery hallucination man is his father. I really hope it's something more interesting than that though.
- Oh wow, it was his father. Who saw that coming? Boo, Lost. You're better than this, you know you are.
- So is that one boar meant to have lasted these 47 people several days?
- Ooh, someone stole the water. It's a mystery! Detective Lock to the rescue.
- I love how many Australians there are in this show.
- Haha, an Australian $50 note. Cue millions of Americans scratching their heads, wondering what those yellow pieces of paper were.
- Jack is rolling down a hill. I hope he doesn't break his crown.
- He is now hanging off the edge of a cliff. They cut to an ad break on that, a literal cliff-hanger.
- You can tell this show was written by Americans. In real life, the Brits and Aussies would have bonded minutes after the crash.
- I quite like Sawyer's habit of giving everyone nicknames.
- Housemate just said that I looked unimpressed. I'm enjoying Lost, but I've been told that it goes severely downhill.
- Blech. The show's getting into some murky grounds here. "Everything that happens happens for a reason. It's a magical place."
- I have no problem with magical realism, but you can't just throw it in in the 5th episode. Pick a tone from the start, like Life On Mars.
- Sure there were Polar Bears in the jungle, but they were flesh-and-blood Polar Bears, not whimsical imagination Polar Bears.
- Everyone keeps talking about how they've been waiting for sooo long - 6 days? How fast are these rescue services normally??
- Oh excellent, Jack's organising the survivors. I like forced societies. Interesting stuff.
- Jack wins most likeable AND most intriguing at this point, but this episode didn't really have many other characters in it. Lock still rocks
- I hate DVDs that have "Previously on..." - it tells you too much about what the episode's going to be about.
- I don't care what the show is, 1 minute 30 of "Previously on" is too much.
- Just noticed. Does every episode start with an eye opening?
- Haha, Lock shaves with one of his knives.
- Charlie's being a tosser this episode. I like him better as light-hearted comic relief.
- It appears that Asian Wife is a socialite, and Cruel Asian Husband is a lowly serving boy, but I'm expecting subversion any second
- Stupid subtitled scenes. I can't tweet and read at the same time!
- Asian Wife's name is Sun. Still no name for Cruel Asian Husband.
- Cruel Asian Husband is beating the crap out of Black Father. Indian Guy and Caucasian Wanker to the rescue!
- Mysteries so far: -The monster -Cause of the plane crash -French Radio message -Jack's Dad's body -Kate's past -Black Father's name
- -Why there was a Polar Bear in the middle of the jungle. (my favourite mystery so far)
- Cruel Asian Husband is extremely likeable in these flashbacks. Something must happen to turn him cruel. Family killed by polar bears?
- Charlie is covered in bees!! (that only really works if you say it in Eddie Izzard's accent)
- Oooh, an old old body. Also: Jack and Kate have been "forced" to take their clothes off. Soon they'll be "forced" to make out.
- The bodies have been here for 40 or 50 years. Must be unrelated to the 16 year-ago radio signal.
- ANOTHER MYSTERY
- It occurs to me that nothing has exploded since the first episode. Writers, get onto that.
- Also, haven't had any polar bears in aaaaages. At least the show's fulfilling its half-naked woman quota.
- Oh, I see. Cruel Asian Man became a workaholic. We have a workaholic, a drug addict...I had hopes that Jack would be an alcoholic, but no go
- "Adam and Eve knew they could survive here." Then how come they're dead, Jack? Think it through!
- "When's my birthday?" "August 21st. When's mine?" BURNNNN. You totally shut your son down, man!
- Oooh, Cruel Asian Husband is covered in blood. Assassin? Thug? Ninja?
- And just like that, Cruel Asian Husband is cruel. Not the most satisfying backstory. I preferred the one with the one-armed Aussie farmer.
- Jack's worried about convincing people to move to the cave. Screw that. Just say"I'm going to be in the cave with the water", they'll follow.
- Mr Lock called Charlie "Johnny" and neither character acknowledged it as strange in any way.
- ...hang on, Lock's name is Johnny. John Lock. Error on writer's part, character quirk, or some kind of foreshadowing?
- Grrr. They're splitting into two groups. Pro-cave, pro-beach...what a pointless schism. Makes sense though.
- Oooh, Asian Wife was planning to run away. Nice bit of backstory. Much better than the simple "He was mean." plot they had going.
- Holy crap she speaks English!
- I want Asian Wife ("Sun") to seduce Black Father. There's some sexual tension sparking there, let's get it aflame!
- Okay, Lock's "The Island is a benevolent being" thing is starting to grow on me.
Most intriguing character: Kate. Most likeable: Lock. Least likeable: Cruel Asian Husband. Kate's being lovely and mysterious this ep.
- Sun voluntarily decided not to run. This character is really nicely layered. Well worth the six episodes of "not doing much".
- So what'd they do with the bodies before they moved into the cave? Burn them? Leave them for the boars to snack on? Throw them in the sea?
- Hurley's discman battery is lasting quite a while.
Most intriguing: Kate on 2. (with 4 other characters on 1 - Mr Lock, Sayeed, Asian Wife, Jack.)
Most likeable: Lock on 2 (with 4 other characters on 1 - Charlie, Hurley, Ray, Jack)
Least likeable: Cruel Asian Man (Jin) at 3 (3 others on 1 - Lock's Boss, Jack's Dad, Shannon)